Thursday, March 28, 2013

chicken & dumplings



I cant just "write" a recipe.. I have to make it, and write it while Im doing it, than go back later to finish the post. I never remember what I put in or how much! Im all hands on. So- Today we had chicken & dumplings for dinner! Although, today I realized i use biscuits, not the dumpling recipe.... Ive never personally tried it, I just love biscuits! Holla!

I started with a whole chicken, 6 (maybe 7) stalks of celery and carrots in the pressure cooker. Just threw them in whole after being washed; yes... i washed the chicken! Someone told me recently about washing their meat (baaahaha i can only think of sex when i hear this!) One whole onion, peeled and 1 whole "bulb" of garlic! You don't even have to take it apart if you're using a pressure cooker, which I am! Set the time to cook for 45 minutes if your chicken is frozen and 25 if its thawed. Let the pressure lower, open it up and let cool! I threw the celery out.  While the chicken cooled enough to take out and pull apart I started the biscuits.

Biscuits:
2C organic unbleached flour
1T baking powder
1/4t salt
1/2c coconut oil
1C ice cold water (may need more or less, go slow!!!)

Add the dry ingredients in a bowl, and than cut the oil in. I use a fork, I find it easier. After you've accomplished to make it look like a lumpy mess, hollowish out the middle, and add the water, SLOWLY! I started with 3/4c and ended up using 1 1/2c. Lightly toss that together, and dump the bowl on the counter. Knead the dough 3 or 4 times, until its all incorporated and not too doughy. From there I checked on the chicken, shredded it. I used the same pot from the pressure cooker to cook on the stove. Add the chicken back to the broth and add 6 cups water. Put in about  3T. pepper and salt. Bring the soup to a boil, wet your hands and start to take pieces of dough and roll them into balls and drop them carefully into soup. I did about 15, made the first ones bigger, since they'd cook longer while I was rollin! When your done, cover that baby up and turn the heat/fire down to LOW! Leave it covered for 8 ish minutes... I left it on 10 and mine came out a little over done! The trick is DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF until they are DONE. Once you take it off, you're committed and they wont cook the same anymore. Trust me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment