Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Gettin Dirty, Eatin Clean

Happy New Year! We had a blast in 2013 and now we're getting ready to start a new book, fresh pages & new paint to mess it up! Im dedicating this year to eating clean and getting dirty while doing it! We'll be planting new herbs and a few indoor vegetables today! Ive already got clean homemade granola bars in the oven and our breakfast was amazing! Next on the list is pita dough, for the week & I may even get dinner knocked out while Im at it!
How we started eating clean:

1. Get rid of all your spices! 
Thats right, I said it! I had SUCH an amazing spice rack. Everything bought local and fresh, still when we switched over and started using FRESH herbs… WOW! The taste, the pop and crispness of flavor, words almost don't do it any justice… Unless you've had my JalapeƱo Popper Dip! I have plants now, herbs! Sage, Rosemary, Tarragon, Basil and Dill. They're amazing and go to for any dish! 

2. Cut all your produce when you get home:
Easier said than done. Once I filled up the sink, put all the produce in there to wash and forgot about it! I believe it got left until dinner! SHIT! Turns out, wasn't that big of a deal. I cut my onions first, get that shit outta the way! Sliced, than just quartered. I don't dice or mince until Im ready to use it, so I have the juice from the onion; for health reasons mostly! Cucumbers, Celery and Lettuce are all cut and ready to use! 


Now to the Gettin Dirty part! 

Ill post a few recipes daily, probably breakfast, lunch, dinner type stuff.. duh! MOSTLY Vegan! I know, crazy right? When we started this journey of getting healthy we stopped eating all animal products… yes seriously… yes, Im for real. I went to the store and didn't buy a single animal product. My family was in shock for a few days, maybe even the better part of a week! I have invented the most delicious meals, some of my friends don't believe it! Ive made the meal in front of them and still its "You made this".. yes, with you watching my every move; stalker! LOL 

Granola Bars
Preheat oven to 350

6 C. oats
4 T. coconut oil
1/4 C. peanut oil (oil of choice)
little salt
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 C. honey
1/4 C. aloe vera juice (or apple juice)
1 sandwich baggie of almonds (yep, thats how I measure) 

-Crush almonds

-Combine oats, oils, almonds & salt; put on foiled lined baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn! 

-In a saucepan melt down the brown sugar, honey and juice.

-When the oats are done, put back into the bowl and pour the sugar mixture in and mix to coat!
I found I had a little extra liquid on the bottom, no biggie!

-Put your oat mixture into very well greased cookie sheet, and pat down good! 
If you have extra liquid, pour over the oats!

-Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden!


Breakfast Potatoes
5 wash potatoes, diced
1/4 onion, diced
4 or 5 fresh tarragon leafs, chopped
2t. coconut oil

In my non stick, new Christmas present pan I add the oil & onions, let that cook for a few minutes add season salt and potatoes! Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat, tossing around the pan here and there! Add the tarragon, or any other herbs you have on hand! Serve with warm corn tortillas and a fruit! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment